Re: Oracle 9i on Solaris 10

From: Tasm <tasm_at_tasm.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 11:52:37 +1000

Michael42 wrote:
> Hey All,
>
> Can anyone please share how you set the Oracle /etc/system settings on
> a Solaris 10 system?
>
> Solaris 10 is fundamentally different and uses a tool (prctl) to set
> them kinda like LINUX. I would like to view\set the settings for:
>
> set shmsys:shminfo_shmmax=4294967295
> set shmsys:shminfo_shmmin=1
> set shmsys:shminfo_shmseg=10
> set shmsys:shminfo_shmmni=100
> set semsys:seminfo_semmns=1000
> set semsys:seminfo_semmni=100
> set semsys:seminfo_semmsl=250
>
> Yes, I read the manual(s). They only cover Solaris 8-9. Oracle's docs
> on Solaris 10 are not clear to me (or even Oracle). I have a SR open
> with Oracle and even they seem stumped to advise in detail. I am not a
> UNIX admin.
>
> Thanks for you help,
>
> Michael42

Have you seen the following metalink document?

Subject: 	Running Oracle Database in Solaris 10 Containers - Best Practices
   	Doc ID: 	Note:317257.1 	Type: 	WHITE PAPER
   	Last Revision Date: 	22-JUL-2005 	Status: 	PUBLISHED

# Ths sysadmins did the following to change the settings for the default project so that oracle databases could use the maximum amount of memory when starting up. I don't really know much about this stuff, so please check first when using any of this information.

#This will change the default project that oracle is assigned to, and will enable Oracle access to container resources without DBAs needing to modify their ksh scripts.

#Add the following line to /etc/user_attr

oracle::::project=ora_dev

Here are some notes that I have made about Solaris 10 and how to view the settings:

# SOLARIS ZONES CONTAINERS SOLARIS10 SOLARIS 10

# checking kernel parameters

sysdef | egrep -i "sem|shm|noexec"
egrep -i "semm|shm|noexec" /etc/system

prctl $$ | awk '/max-sem-ids/,/system/' ; prctl $$ | awk '/max-sem-nsems/,/system/'

#The following related parameters have been removed. If these parameters are included in the /etc/system file on a Solaris system, the parameters are ignored..

Parameter Name Brief Description

---------------------   ----------------------------------------------------
semsys:seminfo_semmns Maximum number of System V semaphores on the system. semsys:seminfo_semmnu Total number of undo structures supported by the System V semaphore system.
semsys:seminfo_semume Maximum number of System V semaphore undo structures that can be used by any one process.
semsys:seminfo_semmap   Number of entries in semaphore map
semsys:seminfo_semvmx   Maximum value a semaphore can be set to.
semsys:seminfo_semaem   Maximum value that a semaphore's value in an undo
structure can be set to
semsys:seminfo_semusz   The size of the undo structure
shmsys:shminfo_shmseg   Number of segments,per process
shmsys:shminfo_shmmin   Minimum shared memory segment size
msgsys:msginfo_msgmap   The number of entries in a message map
msgsys:msginfo_msgssz   Size of the message segment
msgsys:msginfo_msgseg   Maximum number of message segments
msgsys:msginfo_msgmax   Maximum size of System V message.

#As described above, many /etc/system parameters are removed simply because they are no longer required. The remaining parameters have more reasonable defaults, enabling more applications to work out-of-the- box without requiring these parameters to be set.

The following table describes the default value of the remaining /etc/system parameters.

Resource Control Obsolete Tunable Old Default Value New Default Value

------------------------ ----------------   -----------------   -----------------
process.max-msg-qbytes   msginfo_msgmnb     4096                65536
process.max-msg-messages msginfo_msgtql     40                  8192
process.max-sem-ops      seminfo_semopm     10                  512
process.max-sem-nsems    seminfo_semmsl     25                  512
project.max-shm-memory   shminfo_shmmax     0x800000            1/4 of physical
memory
project.max-shm-ids      shminfo_shmmni     100                 128
project.max-msg-ids      msginfo_msgmni     50                  128
project.max-sem-ids      seminfo_semmni     10                  128

#Setting System V IPC parameters for Oracle installation :

#The following table identifies the values recommended for /etc/system parameters by the Oracle Installation Guide and the corresponding Solaris resource controls.

                                 Oracle          Required in   Resource
Parameter                       Recommendation  Solaris 10    Control
        Value
------------------------------  --------------  -----------
----------------------  ----------------------
SEMMNI (semsys:seminfo_semmni)  100             Yes
project.max-sem-ids     128
SEMMNS (semsys:seminfo_semmns)  1024            No            N/A
        N/A
SEMMSL (semsys:seminfo_semmsl)  256             Yes
project.max-sem-nsems   512
SHMMAX(shymsys:shminfo_shmmax)                  Yes
project.max-shm-memory  1/4 of physical memory
SHMMIN (shmsys:shminfo_shmmin)  1               No            N/A
        N/A
SHMMNI (shmsys:shminfo_shmmni   100             Yes
project.max-shm-ids     128
SHMSEG (shmsys:shminfo_shmseg)  10              No            N/A
        N/A

#Error:*** Alert: The following kernel parameters do not meet the recommended values for database installation:

Obsolete Parameters            Resource (Solaris 10)   Default
(Solaris 8,9)                  Control                 Value
------------------------------ ----------------------  --------------
semmni is less than 100        project.max-sem-ids     128
semmns is less than 256        N/A                     N/A
semmsl is less than 256        project.max-sem-nsems   512
shmmax is less than 4294967295 project.max-shm-memory  1/4 of phy mem
shmmin is less than 1          N/A                     N/A
shmmni is less than 100        project.max-shm-ids     128
shmseg is less than 10         N/A                     N/A

echo "100, semmni replaced by";
prctl $$ | awk '/max-sem-ids/,/system/' ;

echo "1024, semmns replaced by";
echo "Not required in Solaris 10";

echo "256, semmsl replaced by";
prctl $$ | awk '/max-sem-nsems/,/system/';

echo "16Gb, shmmax replaced by";
prctl $$ | awk '/max-shm-memory/,/system/';

echo "1, shmmin replaced by";
echo "Not required in Solaris 10";

echo "100, shmmni replaced by";
prctl $$ | awk '/max-shm-ids/,/system/';

echo "10, shmseg replaced by";
echo "Not required in Solaris 10";

#
echo; echo "100, semmni replaced by"; prctl $$ | awk '/max-sem-ids/,/system/' ; echo ;echo "1024, semmns replaced by"; echo "Not required in Solaris 10"; echo ; echo "256, semmsl replaced by"; prctl $$ | awk '/max-sem-nsems/,/system/'; echo ; echo "16Gb, shmmax replaced by"; prctl $$ | awk '/max-shm-memory/,/system/'; echo; echo "1, shmmin replaced by"; echo "Not required in Solaris 10"; echo; echo "100, shmmni replaced by"; prctl $$ | awk '/max-shm-ids/,/system/'; echo; echo "10, shmseg replaced by"; echo "Not required in Solaris 10";

# What projects am I in
id -p Received on Tue Apr 11 2006 - 20:52:37 CDT

Original text of this message