Re: what sort of dba can you get for 100K nowdays

From: NetComrade <netcomradeNSPAM_at_bookexchange.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 18:25:54 -0400

On 27 Apr 2006 15:06:20 -0700, "BD" <bobby_dread_at_hotmail.com> wrote:

>>these are still fairly basic things everyone should know..
>
>In a recent discussion I had with a long-time DBA (I'm fairly new at
>it), I asked whether, with the advent of 'self-tuning' databases like
>10g, and with technologies like ASM, were DBAs becoming 'obsolete'...
>the basic conclusion of the discussion was that the nature of the DBA's
>role is changing somewhat, into more of an application administrator -
>understanding Forms and App Server is a great benefit - but there's no
>longer the need to manage rollback segments, so why even know what they
>are / were?

This is true in a way.. but the people interviewed were 'experienced' dba's, and most of them should've worked with 10g (in fact, the majority were either not using it, or still in 'testing'). Given their 'years' of experience, they should've known about things from the past. If you're not using ASM there are still things you need to know (and none of them did )
We run Oracle 9.2.0.6 on RH4 AMD
we are currently looking for a DBA
remove NSPAM to email Received on Thu Apr 27 2006 - 17:25:54 CDT

Original text of this message