Re: Oracle slowed down

From: Bob Jones <email_at_me.not>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 23:33:19 GMT

> Don't agree - Bob *knows* a BCHR of 30% is bad - so he must
> also know whether 85% is good or bad.

Frank, there is no single performance stat that can tell you the overall performance is good or bad, including the "waits" you talked about. Are they all irrelevant?

> I know it means nothing, but Bob seems to think otherwise, but
> cannot explain that to the 6-year old I sometimes am. Like now

Of course, it means something.

Here is a simple example. Let's say

x + y = z

The value of x alone does not determine the value of z, because z also depends on y. Can we say x is IRRELEVANT to z?

BCHR alone does not determine performance, but it is a performance factor, therefore relevant.

BCHR is placed in the main page of Performance Manager. I don't think Oracle made a mistake on that one. Received on Mon Apr 24 2006 - 18:33:19 CDT

Original text of this message