Re: Oracle slowed down

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 21 Apr 2006 12:27:42 -0700

While the hit ratio does obscure most information, it does have one possible use, and that is as an indicator that something has changed on an otherwise stable system. If you look at the ratio every day and it is 86%, and all of a sudden it's declining to 20% after the system has been up 8 hours, that would be saying, "hey, something has changed, start doing some deeper investigation." The act of trying to hit a specific ratio is what is stupid and has been decremented. Or excremented, as the case may be. The delta is what is informative.

I think Noons nailed it, and would also ask if perhaps more DSS or DW style queries are happening. I've seen that happen when someone gets sold some sort of analysis package that runs on their pc and sucks the db through odbc. That would be a classic case of needing another little box dedicated to whoever is doing that and shipping the data over periodically, or just give them XE and a nightly ETL.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://www.havenco.com/