Re: ALTER TABLE RENAME TO

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 22:52:53 +0200

On 20 Apr 2006 13:11:19 -0700, "Luis Santos" <lcdsantos_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I recently discovered that, along with the old RENAME command, that can
>be used to RENAME a table (and some other database object type too) we
>can now use the command ALTER TABLE <table_name> RENAME TO <new_name>;
>
>The first improve of this new syntax is that we can now, logged with a
>DBA enable login, rename a table from another user.
>
>Is there any other improvements? Since which version is this feature
>enabled?

I would hardly call the option of renaming a table from a different user an *improvement*. I would rather call this a *security risk*. Many versions of Oracle come with a new features document and/or a release note document. I suggest you followup the new features documents for your version (which you don't mention), and don't ask this forum to recall all so-called 'improvements' from release 8.0 onwards.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA