Re: Prepare documents on upgrading Oracle?

From: Brian Peasland <oracle_dba_at_nospam.peasland.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 13:25:00 GMT

> My question is, when you upgrade to a new Oracle version, do you
> prepare a whole document on the upgrading of your server? I actually
> have found the Oracle 10g R2 upgrade guide and it is very extensive in
> steps and descriptions after reading it, but my manager still asked me
> to prepare a detailed upgrade steps.

Earlier in my career, I did create such a checklist. But these days, I just use the Oracle docs as my guide. Almost everything I need is already there.

You might have some db-specific or app-specific things that you need to remember, which you might want to document. For instance, you might have some cron job which you want to disable while performing the upgrade. Or, you might have to set your web apps homepage to indicate that the database is down for maintenance to notify your users. This things that are specific to your environment are not shown in the Oracle docs.

That being said, if my manager asked me to do this, I might just go ahead and appease him or her. My upgrade doc wouldn't be as detailed as the Oracle docs and might contain references to the doc.

> I mean since it is already so well documented, what is the point of I
> copying/pasting every word again. I know I must prepare the information
> on our own server first.

Maybe at this point, just to make your manager happy, and that's about it.

HTH,
Brian

--

Brian Peasland