TNS:listener could not resolve SERVICE_NAME given in connect descriptor

From: GM <ganesh_boston_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 19 Apr 2006 07:50:30 -0700

Folks,

   I have read a lot of posts about this error but I am unable to resolve mine. I just installed an Oracle XE database on Windows XP Professional. I created a new user gm/gm. I am able to access the database from my browser and also from the SQL Command Line (this SQL client comes with Oracle XE) but am unable to connect to the database from SQLPlus (both are in the same machine).

  1. My sqlnet.ora file does contain the following NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH= (TNSNAMES)
  2. I ran netstat -ab and am able to see tnslnsr.exe running on port 1521
  3. I ran tnsping and the response came back as OK
  4. I can see the OracleXEListener running as one of my services. 5.There are no other syntax errors in my tnsnames.ora
  5. Here is the entry from my tnsnames.ora

XE =
  (DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = abcdefg)(PORT = 1521))
(CONNECT_DATA =

      (SERVER = DEDICATED)
      (SERVICE_NAME = XE)

    )
  )

When connecting to the database with SQLPlus, I use gm/gm and host string as XE and I get the above error.. What am I doing wrong?
Thanks.
GM Received on Wed Apr 19 2006 - 09:50:30 CDT

Original text of this message