Re: Newbie: 10g Express Start problem

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2006 21:42:01 GMT

On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 08:28:23 -0700, richmarin wrote:

> The operating system I am using is XP.
>
> When I first started 10g. I got a graphical interface. On that interface,
> I saw 4 icons. They where called
>
> Administration, Object Browser SQL and Utilities.
>
> For whatever reason, I can not get back to it. It was here in this "Main
> Menu" where I was able to get work done.

OK, Now we can move forward ....

  1. Is this XP Home or XP Pro? (XP Home seems occasionally to miss some critical files that generally causes the initial install to fail. However, usually an XP HOme install, if successful, will allow further access.)
  2. The rest of this discussion assumes you have never had any Oracle on the machine, nor any Apache/Tomcat. Confirmation appreciated.
  3. Your access is generally known as the 'Database Home Page'. If all goes well, that should be available by opening a browser and entering http://localhost:8080/apex
  4. If the above failed,
  5. check that the services for XE are up and running.

(Open Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services and check that the 'OracleServiceXE' and 'OracleXETNSListener' are started. The other services don't matter until much later.)

ii) if they are then drop to a command box (StartKey + R, enter cmd) and type 'lsnrctl status' and tell us the result. There should be lines that tell us about ports 1521 and 8080

iii) also check that the database is 'running' by checking sqlplus. Again from a command line, type 'sqlplus / as sysdba'. If the result mumbles about an idle instance, type 'startup', post the result, and leave SQLPlus using the 'exit' command.

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com