Re: question on creating LDAP user in OID

From: Laurenz Albe <invite_at_spam.to.invalid>
Date: 13 Apr 2006 15:38:18 GMT

steve <stevenoyle1_at_yahoo.com> wrote:
> dn: cn=testuser,cn=Users,dc=mycompany,dc=com
> userpassword: testuser123
> objectclass: top
> objectclass: person
> cn: testuser
> sn: Test Account
>

> After loading the above ldif file into OID, I was not able to log in to
> OID using the username - "testuser." OID returned with an Invalid
> Credential error. I have to use the DN string as the username -
> "cn=testuser,cn=Users,dc=mycompany,dc=com."
>
> To use "testuser" as my login id, do I have to specify an additional
> attribute? Isn't the attribute "cn: testuser" supposed to specify
> testuser as my login id?

Think of LDAP entries as a directory structure.

Same as there can be two files with the same name in different directories, there can be two users with cn=testuser under different entries.

If you didn't have to specify the full distinguished name when you bind, how should the LDAP server know which one you mean?

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

PS: 'sn' stands for 'surname'. Received on Thu Apr 13 2006 - 10:38:18 CDT

Original text of this message