Re: Backup Sanity Check

From: Preston <dontwantany_at_nowhere.invalid>
Date: 12 Apr 2006 10:44:50 GMT

Frank van Bortel wrote:

> Preston wrote:
> >
> > archivelog delete input;
> > allocate channel for maintenance type disk;
> > delete noprompt obsolete device type disk;
> > release channel;
> >

> Apart from the 8-ish commands (allocate device for maintenance...),
> nothing wrong, as far as I can see in a quick glance.

I wasn't sure if the 'allocate channel...' before the delete is even necessary. I'm not up to speed on RMAN, & haven't got time to rtfm close enough to make it sink in.

> But why the change to archive logging? Change in data loss policy,
> too?

Yep. The clients may be happy to lose a day's data as they "can re-input it", but in reality they'll expect us to write scripts to rebuild it. We're totally swamped with work as it is, so that wouldn't be A Good Thing.

> Do you change the incrementals with full backups? I would advise so,
> in order to keep restoring time minimal.

Sorry, you've completely lost me there. Unless I've misunderstood the RMAN commands, that script should do a full backup the first time it's run, then incrementals on subsequent runs which refresh the full backup with any changes. I'm not sure what you mean by "change the incrementals with full backups"?

Restoring time isn't really an issue I don't think. Most of our clients' databases are only a couple of gig max with a handfull of users.

--
Preston.