Re: Questions about shared server

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 5 Apr 2006 16:58:34 -0700

>Yes, and I do not think I found any good advice on this, that is why I
>tried here.

I'm pretty sure somewhere in the docs it explicitly says shared servers is not for performance enhancement. Probably either in the concepts manual or the performance guide. The part you quoted only pertains to systems where creating processes is expensive. On unix, that is cheap.

There are more likely reasons for performance problems, anyways. You would do yourself a favor to follow one of the methodologies such as Cary Milsap's. Or you can blindly flop around, gathering statistics on everything and using top sessions to find and fix the the worst sql, and play with optimizer_index_caching and optimizer_index_cost_adj which might be enough to fix your immediate problem. You could even use statspack, iostat and vmstat. Search for those terms on metalink to get some interesting ideas.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://catless.ncl.ac.uk/Risks/24.22.html#subj10