Home » Fusion Middleware & Colab Suite » Weblogic & Application Server » securing userid/password included in formsweb.cfg (Fusion Middleware 11g / MS Windows 2008)
securing userid/password included in formsweb.cfg [message #528125] Fri, 21 October 2011 17:29 Go to next message
hxlasheen
Dear all,

I need your suggestions on how can I protect the user id and passwords that are explicitly written into formsweb.cfg configuration file. The id/pw that is included in the formsweb.cfg is mainly used to establish the first connection with database and load the login initial menu to business users to login into the application. There is a concern in putting the password in plain text into this configuration file due to the risk of knowing the password via unauthorized users who can then login to the database - appreciate your insights/suggestions
Re: securing userid/password included in formsweb.cfg [message #528156 is a reply to message #528125] Sat, 22 October 2011 05:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ranamirfan

Please find herewith attached screenshot.
/forum/fa/9493/0/

Then you can call your form like below URL.
http://irfan:9001/forms/frmservlet?config=App

Hope it'll help you.

Regards,
Irfan

• Attachment: formsweb.PNG
    (Size: 33.78KB, Downloaded 5771 times)
Re: securing userid/password included in formsweb.cfg [message #528224 is a reply to message #528156] Sun, 23 October 2011 05:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hxlasheen
Thank you for your response; however, my objective is to avoid putting the user name and password into formsweb.cfg configuration file as it raised a concern for potential access to this file and retrieving the user id/ passowrd information that are writter in plan text. I am trying to find a solution to avoid reading the file and getting the user id & password by unauthorized users - appreciate your help.
Re: securing userid/password included in formsweb.cfg [message #528364 is a reply to message #528224] Mon, 24 October 2011 08:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
joy_division
On the app server, only the oracle user should have access to this file, therefore no one would be able to read it other than the authorized oracle user or of course a sysadmin.
Re: securing userid/password included in formsweb.cfg [message #528373 is a reply to message #528224] Mon, 24 October 2011 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
I don't know because I've never tried it, but I would hope that Forms as shipped with 11g would be able to use an External Password Store. This is a really useful alternative to embedding logons in scripts. In your formswb.cfg file, you would need only an entry such as

userid=/@orcl

It's all documented in the Security Guide,

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E11882_01/network.112/e16543/authentication.htm#CHDHGAIJ
Re: securing userid/password included in formsweb.cfg [message #528404 is a reply to message #528156] Mon, 24 October 2011 13:19 Go to previous message
joy_division
I forgot to mention in my previous response...Do you use Single Sign-On (SSO)? This would take care of embedding any user or password information in the configuration file.
Previous Topic: Problem with general testing of forms using 'http://servername/forms/frmservlet'
Next Topic: StaleConnectionException exception
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 05:27:03 CDT 2024