Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » why oracle doestn't start database after closing (10.2.0.3)
why oracle doestn't start database after closing [message #329890] Thu, 26 June 2008 23:58 Go to next message
abs_amit
Hi,

My doubt is why oracle doesn't allow to open the database back again once we close is manually, and same with the dismount and mount. Why it behaves like a one way operation?

SQL> startup
ORACLE instance started.

Total System Global Area 419430400 bytes
Fixed Size 1249368 bytes
Variable Size 205524904 bytes
Database Buffers 205520896 bytes
Redo Buffers 7135232 bytes
Database mounted.
Database opened.
SQL> alter database close;

Database altered.

SQL> alter database open;
alter database open
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-16196: database has been previously opened and closed

SQL> alter database dismount;

Database altered.

SQL> alter database mount;
alter database mount
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-00750: database has been previously mounted and dismounted

Thanks
Amit Yadav
Re: why oracle doestn't start database after closing [message #329892 is a reply to message #329890] Fri, 27 June 2008 00:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
http://www.orafaq.com/forum/t/88153/0/
Please read & FOLLOW the Posting Guideline as stated in URL above

We are at a disadvantage.
What is Operating system name & version?
What is Oracle version to 4 decimal places?

What is history of database under discussion before & after your brief display of frustration?
Re: why oracle doestn't start database after closing [message #329893 is a reply to message #329890] Fri, 27 June 2008 00:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
http://books.google.com/books?id=TmPoYfpeJAUC&pg=PA54&lpg=PA54&dq=ORA-16196:+database+has+been+previously+opened+and+clos ed&source=web&ots=RzQa6w-s_A&sig=aPi4twIR6uBxtEiQogdhBYr9xGg&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=9&ct=re sult
Re: why oracle doestn't start database after closing [message #329896 is a reply to message #329890] Fri, 27 June 2008 00:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
varu123
Quote:
ORA-00750: database has been previously mounted and dismounted
Cause: The instance has already mounted and dismounted the database, which is only allowed once in its lifetime.
Action: Shut down the database.

The life of an instance ends with shutdown command.

Re: why oracle doestn't start database after closing [message #329905 is a reply to message #329896] Fri, 27 June 2008 00:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
abs_amit
Guys, thanks for responses.

i think i could not explain what does that mean. i am not asking about the solution but asking about the cause for the same.

let me try to explain what i expect:

i have been working on oracle for last 4 years and know about the basic concepts.
i know that we have to shutdown the database first before we start.

My doubt is about the internal Method of Oracle.

Why we have to shutdown the database completely before we can start it back? Why it doesn’t allow us to open the database from mount stage directly?
What is the internal mechanism of oracle? Is there any special reason why Oracle has made it like this?

[Updated on: Fri, 27 June 2008 01:09]

Report message to a moderator

Re: why oracle doestn't start database after closing [message #329916 is a reply to message #329905] Fri, 27 June 2008 01:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
"alter database close" and "alter database dismount" are internal ONLY statements and not public ones.
You must NOT use them.

The only valid statement is "shutdown".

Regards
Michel
Re: why oracle doestn't start database after closing [message #329925 is a reply to message #329916] Fri, 27 June 2008 01:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
abs_amit
So does it mean that whenever we say "alter database close"
Oracle takes it as a partial shutdown because this command is a part of Shutdown and thats the reason we have to shutdown it completely before we can start it back.

right Michel ??
Re: why oracle doestn't start database after closing [message #329936 is a reply to message #329925] Fri, 27 June 2008 01:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
So does it mean that whenever we say "alter database close"...

When you say that you do something unsupported which may lead to unpredictible results.
For you, this does not exist.

Regards
Michel
Re: why oracle doestn't start database after closing [message #329939 is a reply to message #329890] Fri, 27 June 2008 01:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
varu123

A checkpoint occurs when you issue alter database close.
So the datafiles are consistent with control files.

ORacle should allow the datafiels to open after "ALTER DATABASE CLOSE".

It would be interesting to know the real reason behind this cause:
Quote:
The instance has already mounted and dismounted the database, which is only allowed once in its lifetime.

Re: why oracle doestn't start database after closing [message #329953 is a reply to message #329939] Fri, 27 June 2008 02:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
The real reason is that you MUST NOT use this so why Oracle should implement something that you can't use because you should not use the first part?

Regards
Michel
Re: why oracle doestn't start database after closing [message #329967 is a reply to message #329953] Fri, 27 June 2008 03:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
abs_amit
Michel Cadot wrote on Fri, 27 June 2008 12:54
The real reason is that you MUST NOT use this so why Oracle should implement something that you can't use because you should not use the first part?

Regards
Michel

you are absolutely right Michel. But see from user's point of view. will this be not so comfortable if we have this feature.

Lets take some very general scenario why i want this :
if i implement some changes in the database and need to bounce the database, so there is no other option than shutdown and startup.
but if i do shutdown, it will stop the instance and immediately it will cause a Severity-1 issue and will start generating critical alerts.
Re: why oracle doestn't start database after closing [message #329974 is a reply to message #329967] Fri, 27 June 2008 03:08 Go to previous message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
will this be not so comfortable if we have this feature.

You can always ask Oracle to add this but it seems no enough people ask it in the 20 years.
So it seems it would be not so useful.

Quote:
if i do shutdown, it will stop the instance and immediately it will cause a Severity-1 issue and will start generating critical alerts.

This is because your probe is not correct, it should test if database is open and not if instance is there. Then there will be no difference between instance down and database closed.
Is not "open" the criteria for clients?

Regards
Michel
Previous Topic: Deadlock detects
Next Topic: Index rebuild ...Any risk in this ?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Sep 08 23:27:37 CDT 2024